My Top Thirteen for 2013
While some of you have been making your list of Top Ten New Years’ Resolutions, I’ve been pondering My Top Thirteen Moments On Planet Earth (in honor of 2013).
This is surely a work-in-progress, but, for now, here they are:
1) Receiving the gifts of Love and Forgiveness from Above (thank you, Jesus).
2) Mother moments: Finding out I was having twins, and, later, #3. Holding Elizabeth, Hannah and Annie in my arms for the first time. And every moment since May 2, 1989, 9:48 pm.
3) Priceless moments with family and friends. Finding Fiona (my fuzzy girlfriend).
4) My first poem/published article/newspaper column/typewriter/writing desk.
5) Lunch with Ruth Bell Graham at Little Piney Cove. Weekend writing retreat with Madeleine L’Engle.
6) Lunch with handsome boyfriend on the Eiffel Tower.
7) Photo shoot in the Mediterranean with Regent Seven Seas. Standing on the balcony of the Sicilian villa where they filmed “The Godfather II” while someone played “Speak Softly Love” on a piano below.
8) Life-changing travel experiences: Rwanda (2010). Paris (2008). Turkey, Greece, Italy, Sicily, France, Spain (2004, 2006). Dominican Republic (2004). Romania, Belarus (1995). Latvia, Estonia, Russia (1990).
9) Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway for the first time in a rented convertible. Yeah, baby.
10) Moments en Francais: Seeing Van Gogh’s “The Starry Night” and Monet’s “Waterlillies.” Minueting in the garden at Versailles.
11) Seeing an angel in Carrboro, NC, while tooling along in my 1968 VW Beetle. True story (I have a witness).
12) Being at the bedside of my parents as they slipped from this world to the next.
13) Finally, all the millions of unspoken, and yet, profound, moments that have shaped who I am today. Grateful for each and every one.